23 August 2007

August 7, 2007



“My life is created as I narrate, and my memory grows stronger with writing; what I do not put in words on a page will be erased by time.”
-Isabel Allende


August 7, 2007

Today is the first full day of pre service training. My body is not sure what day it is, when I should eat food, when I should sleep. From what I understand, Seattle is 10 hours behind me. For example, now is 10:43 PM in these mountains in southwest Bulgaria and in Seattle is 12:43 pm. My emotions are volatile from the stress, the jet lag, and the newness.

We started learning Bulgarian today. The first step is learning the Cyrillic alphabet. I find it very frustrating right now to start leaning the language. The pressure is real, in two days we are meeting our host family; right now I am still trying to sound out vowels and constants.

I am noticing that my emotions drift between excitement, fear and doubt.

The best part of today was that I ordered tea completely in Bulgarian. It was a small step, but my biggest accomplishment thus far.

No comments: